Monday, February 22, 2010

THE ITALIAN WAITERS RESTAURANT

20 Meyers Pl, Melbourne VIC 3000
PH (03) 9650 1508

I had heard about the waiters bar from a girlfriend – whose recommendations I trust. Although now I’ll be thinking twice about listening to her!! Apparently this place is yet another ‘Melbourne Institution’, having opened in 1947 as a refuge for Italian and Spanish waiters. The waiters restaurant was cute, decorated like a traditional old style Italian restaurant (in actual fact this is probably the original decoration of the place, it just hasn’t been updated for 50 years…). The staff were lovely and seemed to really enjoy working there, which is always refreshing.

The food was not so great. I ordered a spinach crepe from the specials board which was quite nice, but a little on the oily side. The pasta my friend ordered tasted like it had come straight from a “Latina fresh” packet with some D’Oro jar sauce poured over the top. If I want to eat that I can do that quite easily at home (although I at least make my own sauce for my Latina pasta, which is more than I can say for this place!) .I definitely don’t want to pay for something I can do at home in 5 minutes AND tastes better. So unfortunately, no I won’t be returning to the waiter’s restaurant.

1 comment:

  1. That's so disappointing! I'll definitely steer clear of that one.

    ReplyDelete