Monday, February 22, 2010

El Matador

376 Smith St, Collingwood VIC 3065
(03) 9417 2233

I heard that El Matador does the best Spanish food in Melbourne. So a couple of friends and I decided to check it out one night. It was great. I enjoyed the food and the company so much that I forgot to take photos, so apologies for that but I’m going to blog about it anyway.

El Matador is attached to a pub, a bit different for a Spanish restaurant but it works. We started with a jug of Sangria, which was really nice, and ordered some entrees to share. The entrees were great. Patatas bravas, mushrooms in garlic sauce and chorizo – all beautiful! Then for the main the three of us decided to share a seafood paella - usually intended for two. The paella was fantastic. It was perfectly cooked, nothing had stuck to the bottom of the pan and gotten burnt, and the flavour was great. AND it wasn’t skimpy on the seafood – there were loads of prawns and mussels!

The food at El Matador was VERY reasonably priced AND the servings were generous, (characteristics that are NOT shared with one of our fair city’s most popular tapas eateries…Movida I’m looking at you!!). It was traditional and rustic in style which I enjoyed. So get down to Smith St and check it out.

1 comment:

  1. There seems to be some good restaurants up in Collingwood. I am certainly a man who favours the generous proportioned serving and if it is also reasonably priced then it becomes a must visit. And hell, if Melbourne Boozehag says a spanish restaurant is good then it must authentic indeed!!

    ReplyDelete