Monday, August 16, 2010

ROYAL SAXON

545 Church St, Richmond VIC 3121
Ph (03) 9429 5277

So we all know the Royal Saxon is the place for the cool kids (ie AFL players) to be seen right now. I’ve driven past that place at 6:30 on a Saturday night and seen a line of ‘beautiful’ people going down the street. WTF? Call me old fashioned, but one of the reasons I like pubs so much is because you can sit down, relax, and have a few quiet (or rowdy, it’s up to you) bevvies. And not have to get dressed up in your best frock and stand around in heels getting sore feet.



Anyhoo, I digress. When a girlfriend organised a dinner there on a freezing cold Tuesday night I thought it would be the best time to suss the place out, as it wouldn’t be overly crowded and full of pretentious tourists, and therefore piss me off. One thing I will never do is line up to get into a pub – what a completely absurd concept!


So yes it is a very nice space, lots of outdoor areas. Good service and good food. Lots of plates designed for sharing which I always like. We had a few different pizzas (mushroom and a spinachy-ricotta looking one), tuna carpaccio, olives, bread and some salads. They were all great. And reasonably priced. I’d definitely recommend eating there during the week. I’ll have to post an update if I ever go there for a summer Sunday sesh or similar when I can see this establishment at its peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment