Monday, August 9, 2010

MAHA



After the wonderful experience I had at Hellenic Republic earlier this year of course I was keen to try another of the jewels in the crown of the Calombaris empire, Maha. Situated off Flinders Lane, Maha has a more sophisticated feel than the laid-back vibe of Hellenic Republic.

I was dining again with two of my loveliest female friends, and we opted for a 5 course banquet. First off, one of the things I love about the place was that we didn’t have to spend any time at all mulling over the menu, we just ordered the banquet, gave our dietary requirements, and sat back and watched the delicious food start rolling out of the kitchen and onto our table!


Each ‘course’ was a banquet in itself, comprising of multiple generous dishes. The first course was a lovely soup. Seemed harmless enough. Then came course 2 which was a selection of dips, olives and butter beans in tomato and olive oil. All delicious. Then came mussels with chick peas and shaved coconut, zuchinni and chick peas with goats cheese and a large bowl of garlic mushrooms. OK, so even just these two were a huge meal in itself and we’re only up to course 3? Shit! I had stupidly worn tight pants to the restaurant, what a rookie mistake!


So after all this, course 4 comes out, consisting of SEVEN (albeit small, mezze size) dishes! Amazing Kingfish, ravioli, lentils, rice and salads. Oh dear lord I was full to bursting!

Of course you always have to leave room for dessert when you go to places like this! It was divine. The popcorn with salted caramel was my favourite. I loved how all the flavours combined when you ate the three layers of the dish all at once to create, and I’m sorry for saying this, a party in my mouth. And no you’re not invited!


The presentation of the dishes was beautiful, I especially loved the decorated tiles. You also leave with a parting gift, which I have in a box somewhere not yet unpacked. The service was impeccable, my only complaint (and it is a minor one) is that several times our conversation was interrupted so we could be told (at length) what each dish was, and where it came from. And yes I know we spent mere minutes mulling over the decision but thought it was a bit of an intrusion. Although it seems to be a growing trend so I’d probably do best to just get used to it.

Anyway, definitely recommend this place, get the banquet and come prepared. Eat very little during the day and wear loose clothing. I was in a food coma for several days after this one!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome!! Hellenic Republic was just brilliant so if Maha is in a similar vain then I think I will just have to find time to try ... elastic waistband and all!

    ReplyDelete