Sunday, May 30, 2010

IZAKAYA DEN

114 Russell St, Melbourne VIC 3000
Ph (03) 9654 2977

Thank you, Izakaya Den!! Just when I am beginning to fade, thinking all bars are starting to look the same, I finally stumbled down the stairs and into Izakaya Den. It’s really, like, cool, but in a cool way, not, like, a pretentious way. My friend and I were seated at the bar, right in front of the grill, which was perfect because we could see all the action! We had a lovely waiter called Aki (short for Akira, like the movie) and the food was amazing.

Izakaya Den is surprisingly big, so even though they don’t take bookings we were seated straight away – on a Friday night too which was pretty cool. Although it’s easier to get a seat if you are in a small group of 2 or 3, as these groups can be seated at the bar. I think it would take longer if you had a large group. Oh and good to see a bit of a comeback of unisex toilets – probably works better in a restaurant than in a bar or club anyways!

Kingfish Sashimi (again – it seems as though this is the “in” dish right now) was good but not as good as Bar Lourinha’s, sorry guys. Baby potatoes with anchovy butter – score! And the tuna sashimi with wasabi mayo was to die for, as was the eggplant dish. Presentation was flawless, and the service was impeccable. Although I’m pretty sure the manager had the hots for my friend, but he did run down the street with my laptop bag (if I had a dollar for every time I’ve almost left that bloody thing in a bar on a Friday night…well I’d have, like $10..or something) which was definitely above and beyond the call of duty! I will definitely be going back for more. This place is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment