Monday, February 8, 2010

YELLOW BIRD

122 Chapel St, Windsor
www.yellowbird.com.au/

Yellow Bird is one of my favourite bars in Melbourne. You can go there for breakfast, afternoon beers or a nightcap. The food is cheap, plentiful and delicious. They have a good selection of reasonably priced beers and wine (including long necks of Coopers Pale Ale……YESSSS). What more can a girl ask for?

Yellow bird is the kind of bar I would have liked to open myself, if only I had thought it up before that pesky drummer for Something For Kate did! The little touches really impress me. Like the ever-changing slogan on the blackboard (my favourite one is “Please don’t ask us to turn the music down – we like it!), the menus, the wallpaper on the (tiny – smaller than an aeroplane!) toilet walls, the kitsch 60’s furniture, and the board games. There is always great music playing. Last time I went in they had a photography exhibition, which I thought was a pretty good idea and was well-suited to the venue.

As far as food goes, they do a killer breakfast burrito (something there is not enough of in Melbourne – now I just need to find some decent huevos rancheros), mean nachos ($12 for a serve which will feed 2 as a meal or 4-5 as a snack) and a raging tasting plate. Unlike many of its Chapel St counterparts, the food at Yellow Bird is cheap and servings are generous.

The staff are always friendly and laid back. I’ve never had bad service there. The people-watching is great and the bar attracts a pretty eclectic crowd. I go there as often as I can. In fact, I cannot say a bad thing about this place. Nope, can’t think of anything bad at all. Yellow Bird is awesome.

1 comment:

  1. You had mentioned YellowBird before to us and when we finally got along I was surprised. It is a pretty unassuming place but way totally "Melbourne". You know, laid back but trendy, you can be yourself but if you look like a pretentious w@nker then you will feel out of place. One bad thing for me though is the toilet situation ... limited ... built for a cafe, serves alcohol like a bar! Not necessarily a good mix.

    ReplyDelete