Tuesday, February 23, 2010

PUNCH LANE



43 Little Bourke St, Melbourne VIC 3000
Ph (03) 9639 4944

Punch Lane was recommended to me by a girlfriend as my parents were coming to town and I wanted to go somewhere nice, but not too ‘weird’ or ‘different’ as my Dad is pretty fussy with his food. In this respect Punch Lane was perfect. Dad liked it, which meant Mum was happy too.

The staff at Punch Lane were outstanding. They knew their product, very friendly and seemed very passionate about good food. The wine list was also very good, lots of SA wines which I liked!!

We decided to share some entrees and order separate mains. We had some olives, dips and bread and a serve of asparagus with persian feta and black pepper zabaglione. I thought the asparagus was way overpriced as an entrée; it was $19 and there were 6 spears of asparagus on the plate. I thought that was taking the piss a little bit. But other than that the entrees were lovely.


For my main I ordered a prawn and pea risotto which had a nice flavour but I found the rice was a little too crunchy for my liking. You might even say it was undercooked. My best friend M had a lovely gnocchi with pesto, pecorino and ricotta stuffed zucchini flower, the sauce was just delicious. There was also a great scallop dish (with peas, cherry tomatoes and pancetta); fish, crispy duck confit and Dad had a rib-eye which he really enjoyed.


I would definitely recommend Punch Lane as a place to try (or take your parents if they are visiting from out of town!!) but unfortunately it did have one or two things that let it down food-wise. I don’t mind forking out a bit of cash from time to time, but I guess that when I’m paying over $30 for a main I do have much higher expectations than I otherwise would.

No comments:

Post a Comment